One of the most recent collections added to the Archives is the Palmer School Building Story Slides. This collection documents the building of the new Palmer School from 1953-1954. Included are images of the construction of the school, classrooms, teachers, and events surrounding the dedication of the building. The original Palmer School was built in 1893 at the corner of Palmer Avenue and Lafayette Street. It contained eight rooms, with space for 400 students. In 1953, as part of the Board of Education’s Support our Schools (S.O.S) building program, the original school building was demolished, as were houses that faced Ann and Palmer streets, to make way for the new school building. Construction on the new Palmer School began in 1953 and was designed by architect James Haveman. The school opened in the spring of 1954. Put together in this short slideshow, the images of construction, relocation, and classroom activities give us a sense of the times, and of the story of the rebuilding of this school.