- This event has passed.
History Detectives: Sleuthing for Local History
January 23 @ 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
A day-long event made up of six programs exploring various aspects of Grand Rapids history. Presented by area historians and members of historical and cultural organizations, topics are varied and reflect the unique heritage of West Michigan. Topics include:
- Kindergarten and “Radical” Women in 1890s Grand Rapids (Scott Bultman)
- When “Everyone Knew Everyone:” Forming a Latino Community in Mid-Century West Michigan (Delia Fernandez)
- Retail Icons: Shopping Downtown in 1950s Grand Rapids (Michael Hauser)
- New-Car Smell: Nostalgia and the Story of Grand Rapids Car Dealerships (Thomas R. Wilson)
- Modern Design Leader: The Story Behind Herman Miller (Amy Auscherman)
- The Intoxicating History of River City Brewing (Pat Evans)
All events are free and open to the public. A boxed lunch is available for purchase. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to purchase a lunch.