Babies 0 – 18 months: Talking
Children learn about language by listening to parents talk and joining in the conversation. Talking, telling stories, and stretching conversations are ways children learn new information, new vocabulary, and other early literacy skills
Talk to your baby while dressing him/her.
- “What should we do today?”
- “We’re going to the park.”
- “Let’s put on your red dress.”
Name body parts, colors, clothing.
- “Let’s get your arm through.”
- “Where’s your belly?”
- “Mommy’s going to get your toes!”
Name objects while on a walk.
- “Look at that green tree.”
- “Do you hear that dog barking?”
- “The blue sky is so pretty.”