The Grand Rapids Public Library has nearly 200 computers available for patron use at its Main Library and seven branch libraries.
To use a computer, you need a valid library card or Internet card. Computer sessions are limited to 1 hour per day for library card holders and 30 minutes per day for internet card holders. Patrons with library fines over $40 are not able to use the public computers.
All public computers contain:
- LibreOffice Suite, an open source software that is free for the library to use. This software includes word processing, spreadsheets, and multimedia presentations. The library offers classes to learn how to use this software.
- Google Chrome for web browsing and common plug-in use.
- A variety of other software for photo editing, video viewing, and other applications are also available.
- Volume: Headphones may be used to listen to audio. A patron may bring their own or purchase headphones at the library.
- File storage: Computer files can be saved on a USB Flash drive or a DVD/CD (available only on certain computers). Flash drives are available for purchase at the library.
Both black & white and color printing is available. Black & white prints cost $0.15 cents per page and color prints cost $0.50 per page. Jobs are queued before printing so they can be previewed before incurring any costs. You can set up your device to print to our printer using Google Cloud Print.
Find out how to use the printing system in the Library.
Laptop Connections and Wi-Fi service
Free wireless (802.11b/g) access is available in all 8 library locations.
Patrons need a network card configured to use TCP/IP and to obtain an IP address automatically via DHCP. The library’s network is called ‘GRPL_Public’. Due to the proliferation of malware and its negative effects on our networks, we limit outbound connections to HTTP and HTTPS traffic. Many Web applications have an option to work from “behind a firewall” to facilitate their use. If you have issues with a specific application, or a suggestion for other ports that would likely need access, please let us know. If you connect OK, but can’t load any pages, try clicking here.
Printing is available via Google Cloud Print.
The Grand Rapids Public Library reserves the right to terminate network connections in accordance with Library policies and federal, state and local laws.