Can you tell a funny story? Do you make people laugh? Come join the Grand Rapids Public Library, Toastmasters International and LaughFest in a humor contest on Tuesday, March 11 at 7 pm. Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third place. Contestants can choose whether they have an improvised stand up performance or a prepared 5 minute routine. Contestants must register here.
We are going to run the contest like a Toastmasters meeting. Toastmasters is an organization where people meet to improve both their leadership and communication skills. It is a super cheap investment that can help you increase your self-confidence, become a better speaker, become a better leader, and communicate more effectively. In a Toastmasters meeting there are different Roles that help make for an efficient, informative, and educational meeting. The GVSU Downtown Club is helping with this event and we hope to have the full complement of Toastmaster meeting Roles in place. The Roles are as follows:
- Grammarian- Listens for the proper usage of the English Language.
- Ah-Counter- Listens for the use of any unnecessary filler words and sounds. For example, like, well, but, so and you know can be filler words. Examples of sounds are ah, um or er.
- Timer- Times each speech. In our five minute speeches for this contest the Timer will show a green card at 3 minutes, a yellow card at 4 minutes, and a red card at 5 minutes. The red card signifies that your time is up.
- Toastmaster- Master of ceremony for the meeting. Runs the meeting and makes sure that everything runs smoothly.
- Evaluator- Evaluates the prepared speeches. Offers glow and grow points that help support the speaker as they strive to become a better communicator.
- General Evaluator- Evaluates the meeting and rates how every one did in their different Roles.
How well you do in the judgement of the different Roles does not matter towards who wins the contest. We hope to share the findings of the different Roles but that will not happen until after the results of the contest.
Finally thank you to Laughfest who will be supplying some prizes and judges for the contest. Please take a moment to learn more about Laughfest and their other events.